When your choosing someone to take the pictures of your big day it can be a very daunting experience, here are some simple tips to make things a little easier.
1. Talk to your photographer, do you get on. They will be around all day pointing a camera in your face at every opportunity, if you don’t get on that can be uncomfortable for you both.
2. Have they got a body of work you can look at, that way you get a feel for their style and can see if they can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk.
3. Some photographers work in pairs, this can be a big advantage as there are two people getting married, and getting pictures of both of you preparing for the big moment can give you both another perspective of the day. It also means it is very unlikely a vital shot is missed.
4. Value for money, this doesn’t mean cheap, as cheap sadly comes at a price, but will you get all the pictures to do with as you please or will you have to keep going back to the photographer for more prints. Will they be their all day or just pop up for the ceremony and vanish again. Remember there is much more to value for money than the price, after all if a college student shoots your big day for £50 and the pictures are all blurred and the first kiss is missing that is very poor value for money.
5. What will the extras cost? Books, slide shows, pre wedding photo shoot etc.
6. What happens if things go wrong, have they got back-up equipment? alternative shooting plans for rain etc.
There are many other things to consider, but trust is the biggest one, as this is your day, and your memories that will be entrusted to someone else, so they have to care and be their for you when you need them.
Hope this helps a little, and yes I hope we are one of the photographers you will be considering.